The Epidemic and Infections Consortium’s (EPIC) location in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is a significant asset in improving the lives of Canadians
The GTA is Canada’s largest biomedical discovery and clinical validation hub and home to a unique ecosystem of hospitals, research institutes, and the University of Toronto’s campus-based researchers.
The Temerty Faculty of Medicine, home to EPIC, graduates the largest number of MDs in Ontario and educates the next generation of health-care talent, including 2700 graduate students and ~1,750 postdoctoral fellows. The University Health Network has been ranked as Canada’s No. 1 research hospital for a decade, and the Hospital for Sick Children, Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute, Sunnybrook Research Institute, and Unity Health Toronto all place within the Top 12.
EPIC is an initiative within the Toronto Academic Health Sciences Network (TAHSN), a consortium of the University of Toronto and its affiliated academic hospitals. Serving as a leader in Canadian health care, TAHSN sustains a shared academic mission of high-quality patient care delivery, education, knowledge transfer and research innovation.
The ecosystem created by EPIC will continue to discover, develop and validate new approaches to combatting infectious diseases.
- The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is Canada’s most research-intensive hospital and the largest centre dedicated to improving children’s health in the country.
- University Health Network has the largest hospital-based research program in Canada, with major research in cardiology, transplantation, neurosciences, oncology, surgical innovation, infectious diseases, genomic medicine and rehabilitation medicine.
- Sunnybrook Research Institute scientists have made internationally impactful advances in medical science that are transforming countless lives.
- Unity Health Toronto serves patients, residents and clients across the full spectrum of care, while investing in world-class research and education.
- The Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute, located at Mount Sinai Hospital, is one of the leading biomedical research facilities in the world. Created in 1985, the institute is advancing the understanding of human biology in health and disease.
The Emerging and Pandemic Infections Consortium is a network of University of Toronto Divisions and hospital partners:
University of Toronto
- The University of Toronto is Canada’s top university and ranked among the world’s Top 20 leading postsecondary institutions.
- The Temerty Faculty of Medicine, ranked 5th in the world by U.S. News & World Report and #1 in Canada, is at the heart of Canada’s largest health care network.
- The Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering is a world-renowned community of researchers and students dedicated to solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges through collaborative and multidisciplinary research and experiential education.
- Research at the Faculty of Arts and Science responds to urgent economic and social questions and improves the quality of life for our graduates and region.
- The Faculty of Dentistry is the only Canadian school to offer all 10 dental specialties for at least 50 years.